Thursday, February 19, 2009

Another decision made

I completed my MRI on Tuesday and received a call from Dr. Hills on Wednesday.  “The MRI showed nothing.”  At first that news sounded good, but I soon found out otherwise.  The MRI didn’t even show the cancer that was known, let alone anything new.  Doctors believe that I have a rare subgroup of lobular cancer that doesn’t present itself using available technology.  The problem—we have no way of knowing what is growing in either breast.  It took only a few minutes to decide that a bilateral total mastectomy would be our safest choice.  I have scheduled an appointment with a plastic surgeon for next Wednesday to discuss reconstruction following surgery, and I am hopeful that this process can begin soon.  The moments following the mastectomy decision were quiet as I pondered how I would use this as yet another lesson about life.  Physical features do not define who I am as a person, and I will be no less of a woman after surgery than I was before.  Illustrating this concept to my children will be one of my biggest challenges—bring it on!

 

“Adversity is like a strong wind.  It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.”

Arthur Golden

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,
I have been keeping up to date with all you have been going through. I am amazed at the way you look at the good and the bad and try to find the positive in all that God has dished out to you. I keep you in my thoughts. As you said in your blog, the physical appearance of someone is nothing compared to the soul of someone. Keep up the positive outlook!!!
P.S. I think that this type of surgery deserves a few of my special cakes & candies! hahaha Lisa Waite

Kathy Summers said...

This is just not fair....But, at least insurance HAS to pay for the new ones! I hope you can see Dr. Scaff, she's awesome(my scars are perfect).You are such a trooper Linda. Keep up the positive attitude and I'll keep up with the prayers!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Linda-

this is a blst from your past and I hope a welcome one. I received an email today via Sharon Nicasio and Lisa Lombardo that you had been diagnosed with breast cancer. My initial reaction was to reach out and see how you are doing and if I can help. I know we havent talked in years and years but somehow things seem to just melt away when the really important stuff comes up.

I would love to catch up with you. If you are up for it, please email me at MailforMaree@aol.com and I can get you the rest of my information.

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer 19 years ago and is still here to talk about it. I know this is incredibly scary and of course I have had three close scares with cancer this year but all came back benign so I know what all the testing can do to you. From just reading your blog, I can tell you are approaching it with humor and grace (I love the "because I have cancer"- I can just hear you saying it). anyway, drop me a line and let's say hi again!

Maree Mitchell

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I am just too old to do it right or am too dumb to do it right, but only a couple of the blogs I have left you have been posted.

I wrote a long one to you last night in response to this blog and it isn't there. I am so disappointed; but I will try again.

I read this most recent entry with a heavy heart. I could not believe what I was reading, so I reread all of your postings to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I think of you more often than you know and always with a smile and lots of wonderful memories of fun times in the classroom.

DeeDee asked me about you the other day when our families met for a brunch. She is the lady I told you about who has had breast cancer and said she would be willing to lend you an ear if you needed one. Also at that brunch was a dear cousin who has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently experiencing the same tests as you. She goes in for an MRI this Wednesday.

When you have your surgery, I would like to be in touch with whomever is directing the support efforts for your family. I will take your kids wherever they need to go or bring you dinners. Just say the word, my lady!

I will continue to keep you in my prayers, knowing that your journey will be one of great difficulty, It will take commitment, persistence and dedication on your part. Come to think of it, it sounds a lot like teaching. In that case, you have got it made, girl!

Love ya'
Charlotte