Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bracelets


I don’t often find myself speechless, but today it actually happened. I arrived at work to find that someone had put an adorable pink breast cancer bracelet in my mailbox. Attached was a note stating that the staff at Ben Lomond was supporting me in my fight against breast cancer. And as the day progressed, I couldn’t help but notice all the pink bracelets around the wrists of my colleagues. To see so many friends wearing “pink” just for me was a gesture for which I have no words. It was their silent way of saying, “we care”, and I found myself staring frequently at my own wrist…smiling.

My fight against breast cancer has been a scary ride, with information and treatments changing often. There have been tears, joy, laughter, worry, and a gamut of other emotions mixed in. I have relied heavily upon family and friends to keep my world spinning when, at times, I felt as if it stopped. Today was another illustration of the power of friendship and the generosity of the human spirit.

It might just be a simple rubber bracelet to some, but to me it meant the world. Just one more reason to stand tall, face forward and keep fighting!

"Friends are the angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Author Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....it seems I have posted 2 comments and they haven't shown up. The last one was last evening to this most recent of your blogs. So, with all the stubbornness I possess, I will try again. Just wanted you to know that I wear my pink ribbon for you and all the other women I know who battled this bump in the road with the same vigorous determination as you and have WON! And you are so right - those 3 kids are 3 very good reasons to stand tall, face forward, and keep fighting! Love ya'. Charlotte