Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oh My Gosh

Today I met with the plastic surgeon who will be performing the reconstruction after my mastectomy.  We chatted, and she measured and calculated.  We discussed various options and decided on immediate reconstruction after the mastectomy procedure, instead of expanders that require another surgery a few months down the line. Somehow, I just didn't feel that I could undergo this major surgery now, knowing that I would have to have another one in 2-3 months. I am not that crazy!!  I felt very comfortable with the doctor and we even managed a few giggles over my new boobies.

When it came to scheduling my surgery, I had an OMG moment.  A woman had to cancel her surgery for this coming Monday, and they wanted to know if I was up for taking her place. Wow...I have become so accustomed to waiting and waiting and waiting, and now I have the biggest surgery of my life in just 5 days!?!  There is much to do to prepare for this life-changing experience and I don't really think I am ready, but then again, will I ever really be "ready". Probably not.  So, I have 4 days to get the kids ready, the house organized, and my teaching job covered.  It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment, but I am confident that somehow it will all work out.  

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
Mother Theresa

3 comments:

Kathy Summers said...

When it comes to cancer, the sooner the better right? I'm so glad you can have the immediate reconstruction. You'll be ready for that summer bikini! Try to rest this weekend so you have your energy for recovery. You are in our daily prayers, Linda. Keep strong. Kathy

Anonymous said...

Linda-

My prayers are with you. I cannot even imagine the emotions you are dealing with and how do you really prepare for this? You are a strong lady, Linda. Just from the grace and courage with which you have written this blog says you will come out triumphant.

I will anxiously await the outcome.

-Maree

Anonymous said...

Linda,
It is me, Sheila. I just found out Thursday at the math training. Although all of the Ben Lomond teachers assured me you were handling this like yourself, a true champion with an extremely positive outlook, my heart still felt broken and went into shock. I have read your whole blog now. They were right.. you are handling this with an amazing attitude. I am so proud of you! I wanted to let you know the old ladies in OK (80+ to be in the group) are now praying for you, especially for Monday. And of course me too. I will be visiting you soon. I am so sorry I haven't been there for you, I just didn't know. Keep pressing on!
Love,
Sheila