Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday


Picture is of the $100 donation made by Ben Lomond student council to the Susan Komen "Race for the Cure" foundation:)

The past few days have gone by in a whirlwind. Things have been hectic to say the least. I have attempted to ready our lives for what is about to take place, because as mothers, that’s just what we do. I somehow will rest easier knowing that my family can eat and locate their sporting uniforms while I am gone.

As I ran around completing last minute errands, everyone I encountered had encouraging words, offers of help for my family, prayers, hugs and smiles. I may have cancer, but I am also fortunate enough to be surrounded by some of the most amazing friends the world can offer. The support takes on many different forms, all of it appreciated. To say I am not scared would be a lie. I am afraid of many things right now: the cancer, the pain, the drains, the effect on my family, looking at myself for the first time…etc. It can all be completely overwhelming at times. However, I have no doubt that the most incredible friends and family will be there to walk me through this process, and pick me up when I fall (and they won’t even be angry when I am cranky). How lucky can a person get? So, on the day before my mastectomy, I am humbled once again by the concern and loving spirit shown by so many in our lives. “Thank you” doesn’t seem like enough, but it’s all I have. Tomorrow will come...let the healing begin!

“Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear and injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.”

Dorothy Thompson

No comments: