Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"I have Cancer"

December 11 was almost a month away.  I was assured that nothing would change during that time, however, when you have cancer growing inside your body, you want nothing more than to have it taken out.  It was indeed, a very long month!  Most days were busy with usual routines and went by quickly.  Every now and then, the idea of “cancer” would become a little overwhelming and take its toll, causing tears, sadness and the dreaded question “Why me”?  Dark moments often leave you with a new perspective and inner strength you didn’t even know you had.  And for me, humor became my savior.  Since I couldn’t change my situation, then I might as well have some fun with it—hence my coined phrase “I have cancer”.  Those close to me are snickering right now, having heard those words countless times.  “I get the front seat…because I have cancer”… “Can you get me a drink of water…because I have cancer”.  (And the look on people’s faces---priceless).  J Who’s going to argue with that one???

"Things don't change.  You change your way of looking, that's all."

Carlos Casteneda

 

No comments: