Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Routine Mammogram

Alone in the biopsy/sonogram room, I gazed at the machine screen wishing I could see what they were all looking at.  I could tell by their faces and demeanor that it wasn’t “nothing”.  After the 5th biopsy sample, I turned my head and let the tears I had been trying so hard to contain, fall.  The nurse gently squeezed my hand saying nothing.  I knew this was something big.  I knew it was something bad.  I knew at that moment my life was about to change forever.

Finally in my car, I sobbed.  I called Rick, but I don’t even know if he could possibly understand what I was trying to say.  It was just supposed to be my routine mammogram.  Arrive, undress, put boob in machine, squeeze, dress and return next year for another. This time it was different.

"You can encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated."

Maya Angelou

 

No comments: