Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oncotype DX

Another test result is in: the Oncotype DX.  This was the test on the tumor itself to determine how effective chemotherapy would be on my specific type/brand of cancer.  Results give a score on a scale of 1-100 (the lower the score, the better).  Scores of 1-10 = chemotherapy would be ineffective so patient receives radiation only.  Scores of 25-100 = chemotherapy is effective and recommended.  Scores of 11-24 = the dreaded gray area.  And where do you suppose I scored? Of course...an 11.  

Picture is of a mammogram.  Small round spot on the right picture is cancer.  Not mine, but interesting nonetheless.

Dr. McNamara has sent my results to a few "friends" at the City of Hope, seeking their opinions.  We will meet to decide on my treatment (in addition to radiation) next Wednesday. I really can't quite put my finger on my emotions right now.  I suppose "disappointed" might be a good word.  Dr. McNamara assured me that it is an excellent score, it's just that I don't really like the color gray!:)  

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
Frank A. Clark

3 comments:

Kathy Summers said...

It's hard to feel good about an 11 since you are really a 10 kinda girl:) I'm praying for a rainbow for you next Wednesday. Keep strong!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

from what i understand a score of 11 would be considered low. i was a oncodx score of 16 and was not recommended for chemo. are you part of the tailorx study?

Linda Karst said...

Yes, the score of 11 was low and a final decision not to do chemo was made on Wednesday. Unfortunately, as stated in my latest blog, they have found areas of concern in my left breast, so everything might change. I am not currently part of any study. Thanks for your comments:)