Monday, January 19, 2009

Two Results


The phone rang early this morning with a call from my oncologist. The results of one of the genetic tests was in...I am negative for the breast cancer gene! Wheeew! As mothers, we have an overwhelming instinct to protect our children in any way we can. It would have been devastating to know that somehow I could genetically pass this to my children. I am relieved that my worries can go back to skinned knees, sprained ankles and broken hearts--all which heal in time.

Picture is a breast cancer cell:)

The past couple months I have worried that the bleeding in my uterus (fixed with surgery in October) was somehow related to my breast cancer. Dr. Kassar lifted another heavy brick (actually more like a refrigerator) from my back today. We met this afternoon and he patiently listened to my request that he look again at all the results and data from the procedure. He began rattling off results of pathology reports, and then paused. He stared at me a moment, and then turned the computer screen around so I could see everything for myself. There is something comforting about seeing the word "benign" written in black and white. I left his office, once again feeling like the luckiest person in the world. Time to look forward...

"The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time."
Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I looked at your tata picture and thought how like Linda. Your sense of humor got me through so many rough days of teaching, and I know it will serve as the biggest asset you have. Love ya' my lady. Charlotte